We serve the Lord Jesus Christ and His Church by translating, producing, distributing and encouraging the people to use Scriptures in their day-to-day lives.
Every person in Malawi to have access to the Scriptures in their preferred language and format.
The Bible Society of Malawi (BSM) is an inter-confessional and non – denominational organisation seeking to serve all Christian Churches and Church related organizations in Malawi. We seek to carry out our task in partnership and co-operation with all Christian Churches and Church related-organizations in Malawi. Our mandate is to serve the Lord Jesus Christ and His Church by translating, producing, distributing and encouraging the people to use Scriptures in their day-to-day lives. We are the biggest Translator, Publisher and Distributor of Bibles in Malawi that exists to promote the widest possible effective and meaningful distribution of the Holy Scriptures. BSM is a full member of the United Bible Societies (UBS) operating in over 200 countries and territories across the world. UBS is a world fellowship of National Bible Societies who have come together for consultation, mutual support and action in their common task of achieving the great commission.
- 18th century: The organized work of the Society started in Malawi with the early missionaries coming to Central Africa.
- 1950: The Bible Society of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, whose office was in Harare, opened a depot in Blantyre, Malawi.
- 1964: The Bible Society office was opened at the recommendation of the Nyasaland Christian Council on 14th May 1964.
- 1973: 24th February: The Society was incorporated in Malawi under the Trustees Incorporation Act in Blantyre as a charitable organization.
- 1979: The Society became an Associate Member of the United Bible Societies.
- 1988: The Society became a full member of the United Bible Societies.