JOB DESCRIPTION OFFICE ASSISTANT/ HANDYMAN
Role/ Title: Office Assistant/ Handyman
Grade: S7 - Operative
Hours: 7.30 - 16.30
Reports to: Projects / Regional Manager
Liaises with: Clients, Facility Manager/ Supervisor, Cleaning Staff, Tenants, Suppliers and Management
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To provide efficient and effective caretaking support to the Jireh Bible House including ensuring the security and general appearance of the buildings and surrounding areas are maintained in accordance with the required standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Responsible for Jireh Bible House maintenance works - To undertake minor items of repair and maintenance for the benefit and safety of all tenants.
· Responsible for all planned preventative maintenance on site, including but not limited to proactive and reactive work.
· To assist with minor plumbing including unblocking sinks and drains etc.
· To deal with minor repairs where necessary as instructed by client and/ or facility manager.
· To deal with minor electrical repairs and fixings.
· Responsible for testing and maintenance of all electrical equipment on site including the Genset.
· Regularly check external areas for any potential danger to people on site.
· Daily litter picks, sweeping of hard surfaces, emptying of litter bins, attending to landscaping requirements.
· Assist with deliveries and general portage duties.
· Cleaning Bible Society offices and support with other JBH cleaning duties as and when required.
· Responsible for banking transactions for all Lilongwe selling outlets.
· Handling incoming and outgoing mail
· Assisting in receiving and dispatching Bibles.
· Will be the first point of contact for all JBH service providers including security, cleaning, landscaping, courier, and all contractors.
· Responsible for office tea and refreshments preparation.
· Competent at basic building repairs and maintenance.
· Use of small industrial/electrical/mechanical equipment.
· Knowledge of health and safety procedures and precautions, including COSHH regulations and an awareness of health and hygiene procedures.
· Literacy and Numeracy skills sufficient to check delivery notes, measurements etc.
· Able to regularly handle/carry items.
At certain points of the day the post holder will be expected to undertake bending, lifting and stretching in the course of their duties e.g., minor maintenance work, remedial painting and decorating, repairs to fixing, receiving deliveries of goods and equipment, setting out and putting away furniture. Due to the nature of the post, there will be an expectation that the post holder will be exposed to dirt and dust which on occasions, for example adverse weather conditions, may be higher than normal.
NB: This job description is intended to give the post-holder an appreciation of the role envisaged and the range of duties and responsibilities to be undertaken. It does not attempt to cover every activity. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post-holder at regular intervals. The post-holder will be required, always, to perform any other reasonable task as requested by the Line Manager and Management.